An Angry Reader?

June 9, 2008 · Print This Article

I received an email without a valid return address after my last post regarding efficient exercise programming for fat loss.

Before I get to the email, I would like you all to know that I always welcome any and all comments, questions, or criticisms from anyone out there including: personal trainers, clients, experienced, or novice exercisers.

You can post your comment directly to the post, or you can email me. If you would like a reply to your email, please leave a valid return address if you’re using my consultation form to send me a message.

Now, on to the email…

“well, duh. learn from your mistakes FIRST.

don’t you think that there was probably a reason for that trainer to be communicating with the client like that? you’re not a mind reader.

“The trainer was having her perform a single arm dumbbell lateral raise. Now, why in the world would a trainer of all people choose this particular exercise for this person. This lady wasn’t a bodybuilder.”

I mean seriously — what right do you have making those kinds of judgments without having all of the experience? it’s just stupid and can lead to f***ing people up.”

Ironically, the first sentence of the email was the exact point of the article. In fact, even the title of the article was “Learn From Their Mistakes”. I wrote it so you readers out there don’t make the same time wasting mistakes.

And no, I’m definitely not a mind reader. However, if someone wants to go from point A to point B, it doesn’t take rocket scientist to figure out that a straight line is the fastest way there.

If your goal is to earn a degree in medicine, you don’t take the classes for an engineering degree.

I’m obviously not writing to upset anyone. Rather, I am here to be a 100% reliable resource for information. One of the topics I write about is how to achieve real, noticeable, measurable, fast, and permanent fat loss.

As a personal trainer, I always ask myself two questions when I’m designing any workout program.

The first question is, “For who?” And the second question is, “For what?”

Unless you’re a bodybuilder, a unilateral isolation exercise such as a single arm dumbbell lateral raise has absolutely no place in an exercise program for fat loss. This is a beginners mistake in proper exercise programming.

The majority of programming happens before an individual ever touches a weight. Exercise selection is one of the most important parts of the exercise program as a whole.

Heaven forbid anyone out there should ever be fooled into paying someone $50 / hour or more to spend time making beginner mistakes that you could have avoided altogether by reading my little article.

A personal training session is definitely not the time to be making these beginner mistakes.

Yes. Something is better than nothing, but that way of thinking isn’t going to help someone get to their goal quickly.

People are paying a personal trainer a premium fee in exchange for time. One of the things they should be getting in return is time efficient workouts.

I can’t speak for anyone other than myself, but I’m definitely not there to waste my client’s money, or a single second of the most valuable thing in someones life; time.

Many people that hire a personal trainer to improve their appearance have tried every product and diet out there. Many people have never exercised before but, they heard that personal training was “the only way to go for real results.”

For any of these people, the personal trainer’s window of opportunity to make a real change in the clients body, and truly make a difference in their life is extremely small.

If the client gives up and never comes back because they don’t get the results they were looking for, then we haven’t helped them at all.

That person essentially wasted time, money, and motivation. Money can always be made, motivation can be very difficult to get back, but that time is gone forever.

If you’re trying to get on the fast track to losing body fat, and getting more muscle tone, focus on compound movements for the major muscle groups of the body– Muscles of the chest, back, legs, and glutes.

You’ll thank me later.

Be Your Best,

Chris

Comments

8 Responses to “An Angry Reader?”

1. kuromi on June 10th, 2008 12:09 pm

Chris:

I don’t think it’s worth continuing to take issue with this “angry reader”—you both appear to have valid positions and opinions depending on the perspective(s) of the uninvolved reader.

Instead, help yourself as well as your audience or your prospective clients by including the following information for each client in your on-line portfolio:
    1) the duration of the training (e.g., number of weeks or months);
    2) the number of on-line or in-person sessions with you;
    3) the general type of program (e.g., resistance training, interval training, cardiovascular/endurance training, etc.) and
    4) any diet important modifications made during the time s/he worked with you.

While it’s true that pictures speak a thousand words in terms of results, a little more information will reinforce the advice in your articles and perhaps give your expertise a boost in a VERY POSITIVE direction.

Have a good day! :)

2. Newbie on June 10th, 2008 5:05 pm

Chris, I do not think that you both have valid positions. One of you speak with knowledge and experience, the other cannot even write an email without cursing. I do think, however, that it must be quite flattering have written an article that evoked such emotion.

3. kuromi on June 10th, 2008 8:50 pm

How does Newbie know that “Angry Reader” does not have any relevant experience, unless Newbie has personal knowledge about “Angry Reader”. Where in the e-mail in question can one even make such an assumption of the writer/sender of the subject e-mail? The writer/sender of the subject e-mail could be the personal trainer being criticized or a friend or associate of this person, for all we know.

“Mud-slinging” is not a good sales approach. It doesn’t even work well in the political arena as we have recently seen on T.V.!

Take for example, I overheard a personal trainer tell a female client that if she (the client) really wants to look like a woman, the client would do X in order to loose body fat. I guess the trainer was trying to motivate the client to do X, but someone else could have another opinion such as why would a trainer want to make a client feel like less than a woman?

So, hit everyone with the facts, Chris! Tell everyone about your experience by including the following information for each client in your on-line portfolio:
    1) the duration of the training (e.g., number of weeks or months);
    2) the number of on-line or in-person sessions with you;
    4) any important diet modifications made during the time s/he worked with you.

Have a good evening!

4. ChrisR on June 11th, 2008 3:04 pm

“it must be quite flattering have written an article that evoked such emotion.”

Absolutely. :)

“How does Newbie know that “Angry Reader” does not have any relevant experience, unless Newbie has personal knowledge about “Angry Reader”.”

I’m gonna have to say that relevant experience takes a backseat to logical reasoning.

Here’s an example:

Let’s pretend you’re at an airport. You didn’t hear the person at the check in stand tell you which gate your flight is departing from but, you’ve flown from Honolulu to the US mainland before.

Do you:

A) Go check at each gate to see if that’s where your flight is departing from? If the first gate you thought it might be isn’t the right one, there’s always the next one, and the 100 or so others that you could check before finding the right one.

or

B) You look at your boarding pass and go directly to the right gate?

If you chose answer A, I definitely wouldn’t wanna travel with you. 😉

“Where in the e-mail in question can one even make such an assumption of the writer/sender of the subject e-mail?”

Well first, our mystery writer seems to agree with the concept of efficiency, at least subconsciously. Look at the first sentence they wrote, “well, duh. learn from your mistakes FIRST.”

Personal training is all about maximizing efficiency and effectiveness. If someone doesn’t understand the basic concept of efficiency, they probably aren’t the best person out there to be teaching someone how to set a goal and achieve it.

As I stated previously, a personal training session isn’t the time to be spinning your wheels in place if the goal is to go forward.

Do you believe in working efficiently or not? If you do believe, then you cannot say that wasting time is okay.

““Mud-slinging” is not a good sales approach.”

I’ve gotta LOL at this one, Kuromi.

The intended message of the original article was not “if you’re in Honolulu, choose me, not them”.

Far from it.

Right now, this is free help, courtesy of yours truly; an expert in reducing body fat.

The information is here for anyone in the world that takes the time to read it.

You might not be able to see it, but my website/blog stats from last month tell me that this site received 9,734 unique visitors from more than 25 countries.

Monetization will happen as this website/blog develops further and readership grows.

Regardless, it feels great to be able to help so many people.

Thank you so much for your comments.

5. Kuromi on June 12th, 2008 7:36 pm

I think I struck a nerve in you, Chris. I am disappointed, but not offended, in your personal attack on my point of view since I was lead to believe from your statement that your overall purpose for taking a public stance was to find whether anyone out there felt the same way:

“I think I must have touched a nerve with the person that wrote me this email. I’ll leave out the name given, but I figure a public reply is in good order, just in case anyone else felt similar to them.”

Clearly, the mystery e-mail gave no clues as to the experience and knowledge of its author. Whoever wrote the e-mail is sending you a WARNING: do not take hearsay out of context and publish it. The opening statement says it all: that YOU (Chris) should learn from YOUR (own) mistake. That is one reason I gave the example which appears in my second e-mail–to put the approach you used in writing your article into perspective.

When was the last time you felt real respect or admiration, or trusted anyone who put you or others down? What if that someone is an expert and did this to boost his or her credibility? Is it necessary to take such an approach? Is it proof of the person’s knowledge and experience?

6. Cecile Peoples on June 13th, 2008 6:10 am

It seems like a pretty open and shut case. A woman who is not a body builder is seen doing a body building exercise with a personal trainer. She would be better off doing something else. The only assumption being made is that the woman is not a body builder, which is about as safe as assumptions get.

7. confuz on June 25th, 2008 10:57 pm

Nicely said, Cecile.

8. Koto --- (No last name required, theres only one!) on June 25th, 2008 11:25 pm

First off, I love this website.

Secondly, I would have to agree with the fact that losing weight would benefit greatly by doing compound movements. However, I would not generalize that the trainer was a “bad trainer”.
    Judging him as a trainer based off this one observation is like judging a political candidate by one of their many quotes. Nevertheless, you are absolutely correct that that particular exercise was not right for her goal of losing body fat.

I noticed this page is in .html it SHOULD be in php.

If you need help with any of this, I can help you. There are a incredible amount of benefits (and time savings) that you would have from re-doing the page in php. (especially for ad-revenue!)

Comment Edited 11/25 by ChrisR: Koto, I put a copy of your comment here from the other post because I think this is where you meant to post it.

Have something to say?